Skip to content

What’s Covered

CES Helps Cover Basic Costs

  • Tuition (12-18 undergraduate credits per term)
  • Fees (student activities, technology, recreation center, etc.)
  • Room (two-person/double dorm room)
  • Board (15-19 meal plan)

How We Calculate Your Annual CES Amount:

Standard Tuition, Fees, Room, Board Costs
MINUS  Grant aid
MINUS  $2,500 Student Loan
= CES payment

Moving Off Campus

Before moving  off campus, review your eligibility:

  • You must live on campus (or commute from home) for the first two years of college to be eligible for any CES money.
  • After two years of living on campus or commuting from home, you may move off campus with CES support.
  • What CES doesn’t cover

Your CES living allowance helps support off-campus rent, utilities, and meal costs during the period when you’re enrolled in classes (typically the nine-month academic year).

School Supplies

If you earned CES Bonus Funds during your years at MHS, you can request up to $500 per term to buy school supplies or support other college-related costs. 

Study Abroad

Studying abroad can uniquely enrich your college experience. In some cases, CES funds may support your participation in a study abroad program.

For CES to support a term abroad, these conditions apply:

  • Only one study abroad experience will be supported
  • Study abroad experience must occur the second semester of sophomore year or later
  • Minimum overall GPA is 2.50
  • Study abroad program must be affiliated with your school so you can keep your financial aid
  • Costs must be similar to your school’s standard tuition, fees, room, and board
  • All credits must apply to your degree requirements
  • During fall/spring terms, programs must be 12+ credits
  • During summer/winter terms, programs must be 4+ weeks and 6+ credits
  • Students on CES probation/suspension are not eligible
  • CES does not support:
    – Spring break programs attached to full-term academic courses
    – “Excursion” trips within a longer study abroad program

Study Abroad Approval Process

Step 1

Complete all CES application steps on time.

Step 2

Work with your school’s academic, financial aid, and student accounts offices on all details including admission, academics, passports, financial aid, payment deadlines and more.

Step 3

At least two months before the program begins, submit to GPS:

  • General information about the program (destination, dates, program summary)
  • Study abroad courses (with number of credits) that will all apply to your degree
  • Program cost
  • Your financial aid eligibility as a program participant

Summer Courses

The CES program supports summer classes if you have enough funds to cover your regular term costs through the completion of your degree in addition to the extra summer costs.

For CES to support summer courses, these conditions apply:

CES will only support your living expenses during the period when you are taking classes, no matter if you are living on or off campus. For periods when you are not in classes, you will need to cover your own living expenses through a job or other resources.

CES Summer Term Process

Step 1

Complete this survey and communicate with your Higher Education Support Specialist to request Summer CES support.

Step 2

If you plan to study at your main college, apply for summer financial aid. If not, skip to step 4.

Step 3

Submit the CES Summer Release Form to your college’s financial aid office.

Step 4

If you plan to study somewhere different than your main college as a short-term visiting student (like a community college near your home), submit proof of Preapproval of Transfer Credits to GPS showing that your main college will accept all credits you take at the “host” school toward graduation. Talk to your Registrar’s Office if you need help getting this approval.

Step 5

Submit the following items to GPS:

  • Most recent college transcript (showing term credits & GPA, and overall credits & GPA)
  • Bill
  • Financial aid award
  • Class schedule
  • Off-campus students only: Apartment lease signed by you and your landlord

More Details About CES


Accessing Your CES

Follow the annual CES application steps and meet the standards to stay eligible throughout college.


Student Loans

To receive CES support, you must take out an annual student loan as an investment in your own education.

©2019 Milton Hershey School, all rights reserved.