Skip to content

Lloyd Dietrich

Lloyd E. Dietrich of Kilmarnock died on September 19, 2021. He is survived by his wife of 64 years, Mary Lou, daughters, Robin E. Dietrich, Tracy A. Hayden and Heidi E. Wallick, grandchildren Alexis Barnikel (Tyler), Colton Hayden and Blaze Wallick, great grandchild Elias Lloyd Barnikel, and Sister Ruth E. Santucci. He was predeceased by his parents Nevin Emannuel and Annie Eckert Dietrich, brothers Ivan Nevin and Ray Alvin and sister Agnes Breidegam.

Lloyd was born on July 17, 1930 in Fleetwood, Pa. He was left motherless at the young age of 3, and his father subsequently enrolled him in the Milton Hershey School where he remained in attendance until his high school graduation. There he lived in a group home and was assigned to typical farm work milking cows and pitching hay simultaneous with participation as a first line football and basketball player, soloist with the glee club, flutist with the band, and competitive chess player. He was an honor roll student enrolled in the precollege academic class.

Upon graduation Lloyd qualified for the Naval Reserve Officer Training program which provided financial support for his attendance at Pennsylvania State University. There he majored in Labor Relations, joined the Theta Chi fraternity and spent his summer fulfilling his naval requirements. Upon graduation he served in the Navy Reserve as a communications and electronics officer, and later, as an operations officer in the Korean War serving on the USS Casa Grande. His tenure took him to Italy on a rescue mission, to Cuba for public relations and to the Arctic to resupply American outposts. Though encouraged to make the Navy his lifelong career he elected a career in law.

Lloyd attended George Washington Law School while working full time as a legal clerk at the U.S. District courts. He passed the Virginia Bar prior to graduation, was admitted to the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals and to the U.S. Supreme Court, and became a Trial Attorney at the Federal Power Commission. Assigned nationally crucial cases he worked many hours on behalf of the consumer. Although sought by both private and public firms he remained a civil servant. Eventually he moved to the Postal Rate Commission and there achieved its highest legal position of General Counsel from which position he retired.

Lloyd was an engaged husband and father. He was well read and seemed to remember everything. All who knew him felt he was the smartest man they knew. He taught his daughters self-reliance and ability to tackle any tasks from home maintenance to auto repair. He emphasized the importance of their minds and education in all things. Sundays were hike days to savor the out of doors. Family outings included white water canoeing, kayaking, sailing and camping with excursions to Rehoboth Beach and State Parks. Family meals were always at the dinner table and holidays were celebrated with extended family.

Lloyd and Lou enjoyed their years in Washington, surrounded by neighbors and friends of similar concerns, attended the Kennedy center and Arena Stage, and participated in all the numerous local fairs and activities. It was a rich environment for both adults and children. Eventually the family spent summers and holidays at their second house in Kilmarnock, Va. Located on a tributary to the Chesapeake Bay, it provided endless days for water fun, as our family was welcomed by hospitable neighbors both young and old. It eventuated into a comfortable retirement.

In retirement Lloyd became a Master Gardener while pursuing a deep interest in the stock market. He and his wife enjoyed Elderhostels, as well as trips visiting Ireland, Great Britain, France and Italy. Most particularly were the trips to Hershey, Pennsylvania to attend the annual alumni get together as Lloyd highly valued his years spent at Hershey. He will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery.

©2024 Milton Hershey School, all rights reserved.